The Christmas season is officially underway! Black Friday is over, and shopping has formally begun. This time of year is for chestnuts roasting on an open fire and Jack Frost nipping at your nose. So, turn up the Christmas music, hang up the lights, decorate the tree, and take in all that makes Christmas the ‘most wonderful time of the year’. However, while you’re at it, consider taking a couple of steps to keep this Christmas season pest-free.
Tips for Before Christmas
- If you’re like most, this is the time of year you’re going to bring in boxes of decorations from storage. If you store your Christmas lights, ornaments, and other items in cardboard boxes, you might have a guest stop in for a visit. Many insects like to get into stored cardboard boxes, and a few rodents as well. Be aware that bringing a package in from a shed, garage, or any other outbuilding could potentially bring unwanted guests into your home. Consider thoroughly checking before bringing any boxes or bins indoors.
- Pests can also enter your home hitched to a Christmas tree. Spiders can lay eggs in trees, and when those eggs are warmed inside your home, they may hatch into dozens of baby spiders. To be safe, give that tree a fair shake before setting it up.
- No holiday is complete without lots of food. Make sure you check all of the packages you purchase at the store to ensure there are no holes or rips, preventing unwanted insects from gaining access to your pantry.
- Once the festivities are over, it’s time pack everything away. Consider storing items in plastic totes rather than cardboard boxes. Bins will keep them safe from mold, mildew, dust, and even pests during the year and prevent any surprises for the next.
- When you’re storing things away, be sure to check for any nesting material in your garage or attic. This is the season when mice are most likely to invade these places for the winter. Mouse nests look like pieces of fabric, insulation, cotton, cardboard, and other obviously collected materials.
If you find signs of pests this Christmas season, or you would like us to assist in preventing all of the many creatures that can invade your home this time of year, Hogarth’s Pest Control is happy to help. Give us a call today! Happy Holidays from our family to yours.