Hogarth's Pest Control specializes in all types of industries, residential and commercial.
Rats are medium-sized rodents with long tails, sometimes reaching up to 13 inches in length from tail to nose! They appear similar to many species of mice but are much larger. Depending on the breed, they are brown to gray, and their tails are bald. These rodents are an issue in cities all over the world, especially in large cities such as New York or Chicago, where they often have trouble controlling them.
Rats are great swimmers and climbers, can chew through metal, burrow, have fast reproduction rates, and are extremely intelligent. They are vectors for over 35 diseases, which they can spread to humans and other animals. These diseases transfer to humans through the handling of both live or dead rodents, inhalation, or direct contact with feces, urine, or saliva from bites. Their urine is responsible for the spread of leptospirosis, which can result in liver and kidney damage.
- An adult rat can squeeze into a structure through a hole as small as the size of a quarter.
- Rats live for up to 18 months in the wild, but most die before they are one year old.
- Rats have powerful teeth that allow them to chew through cinderblock, glass, wire, aluminum, and lead.
- Taste, touch, smell, and sound help direct them to their food sources.
- Rats are a significant catalyst in spreading bubonic plague, which is also known as the “Black Death.” Although fleas are primarily responsible for infecting humans, they were initially infected with the plague by feeding on the blood of rats.
Northern Michigan does not have a serious problem with these rodents; however, Hogarth’s does have the means to take care of them and has dealt with several rat jobs in our southernmost service areas. If you are experiencing an issue with rats around your property, do not hesitate to give us a call! We provide full-service rodent trapping and removal, exclusion work, and clean-up. We can take care of your problem today!